Friday, August 17, 2012

All in the name of research....


As I mentioned in my previous post, a few nights ago D and I walked over to Duke’s Waikiki for late night drinks.  D ordered the Surf Sampler, which includes four different beers from local breweries (Fire Rock Pale Ale, Duke’s Blonde Ale, Lavaman Red Ale, and Hapa Brown Ale).  D says that if you like beer and want to try the local brews this is the way to go.  You get a good sampling, decide which one is your favorite, and take it from there. 

I opted to have the Lava Flow and the Hawaiian Salt.  (Don’t judge… I do it all in the name of research!)  Pretty much every bar/restaurant on the island will offer their version of the Lava Flow.  It is a rum-based, pineapple/strawberry/coconut-flavored blended drink.  Duke’s version is oh so tasty, but dangerous because you can’t taste the liquor.  They do make this drink in a non-alcoholic version that is just as yummy.  The Hawaiian Salt, on the other hand, I would NEVER have again!  When I read the menu I was attracted to the fact that it has lemonade fruit juices.  (As you can probably tell, I love fruity drinks.)  I took a sip, and I could not taste anything but salt.  The drink looks beautiful and tasty, but don’t let that fool you!  It’s name does not lie… salt is all you taste. 

Hawaiian Salt
I've decided that I'm going to ask the bartenders for the recipes of the best drinks I try.  If they're kind enough to share them with me, I'll share them with you.  This way you can have a little bit of vacation, too!  Here’s the Lava Flow recipe compliments of Duke’s.  Try it at home, and taste little bit of Hawaii.

Lava Flow

Lava Flow

1 oz. coconut syrup
2 ozs. pineapple juice
2 ozs. light rum (Remove this from the equation for an oh so yummy non-alcoholic version.)
Splash vanilla ice milk (or ice cream)
1/2 cup ice
1 1/2 ozs. strawberry puree (Gives it the appearance of ‘lava flowing’.)

Blend all ingredients except strawberry puree. Pour the blend into a cocktail glass, then gently pour in the strawberry puree.  Garnish it with a little umbrella and pineapple wedge.  Hawaii here you come!

Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment