Saturday, August 11, 2012

Happy Hour at the Mai Tai Bar


Before we moved to Oahu a couple of friends of ours graciously gave us a list of things to do, see and try.  I asked everyone I knew who had lived here for ideas because I was worried we would not be able to keep busy.  Little did I know keeping busy would be the least of our worries!  In spite of it’s size, there is just so much to do on this island! 

Our hotel, the Ilikai, is within walking distance to the Ala Moana Center.  It is a giant, open-air shopping center with stores ranging from Macys and Sears to Prada, Cartier and Hermes, as well as several restaurants and bars.  (A shop-aholics dream!)  If you’re wondering, the mall was not really on my friends’ lists, but one of them did add a note about trying the Lychee Mai Tai served at the Mai Tai Bar.  As it turns out the Mai Tai Bar is conveniently located on the fourth level of the Ala Moana Center. 


D and I took a walk to the mall just to check it out, and I was able to convince him to go taste the Lychee Mai Tai.  (It didn’t take much convincing.)  Upon entering the bar we were informed that it was their happy hour.  Convenient, I know! 


Lychee Mai Tai
When you get there you’ll find that the entire place is open seating.  I’ve heard that it can be a pain in the butt to find a seat, particularly with the happy hour/after-work crowd.  Not to toot my own horn, but I am pretty amazing at stalking people for tables.  Needless to say, it didn’t take us long before we were seated and ordering our drinks.  I, of course, ordered the Lychee Mai Tai while D ordered a Kona Longboard beer (brewed locally).  The Lychee Mai Tai is the single most delicious Mai Tai I have ever tasted!  It’s both sweet and a little sour.  If you like sweet drinks (not overly sweet), then you’ll definitely like this one.  For those of you who prefer beer and have never tasted a Kona Longboard, D says that it’s akin to a Yuengling.  Aside from that description, I can’t really help other than to say it tastes good to a “non-beer drinker”.


D with a Kona Longboard
Overall, we found the Mai Tai Bar to be one of the best happy hour spots we have encountered so far.  It has a good mix of people, both tourists and locals alike, as well as live music.  I also must say that they have great food, with discounted PuPus (Hawaiian for appetizers), $5 Mai Tai’s, and great deals on beer!  For those of you who want to try it out, the happy hour runs daily from 4-7 pm.

Pupu Platters
Fun Fact:  The waitress let us know that although this oh so yummy Mai Tai has lychee in its name it contains no lychee fruit or juice.  They mix a bunch of fruit juices that make it taste like the lychee fruit.  Regardless, it is definitely worth a taste.  It may quickly become your favorite happy hour drink!


3 comments:

  1. Wait till you actually try a REAL lychee...I use to go around with my friends to find lychee trees and pick them!!! Oh...how I miss fresh lychee....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It is really good. We've had fresh lychee. It's oh so yummy! :)

      Delete
  2. the food loooks extremely delicious and needless to say that drink is calling my name... lol

    ReplyDelete